Saturday, April 02, 2005

Home Repair

She told me to stop crying, but I would not listen. I never listened, at least, that's what she always said. Mama was right, I did deserve to be punished.

Early that morning she told me to wash the dishes so i did. But she said they were not clean enough and I better "clean 'em lickety split" or else I'd get it. Well I tried, honest I did, but I kept thinking about the grumblings my stomach was making because I hadn't had no dinner the night before.

Before I knows it, she comes in and grabs me on the back of my neck and started yelling in my face. I should have focused more, I get so distracted sometimes. Well, there was this hammer sitting on the counter from Papa fixin' the cabinets last night and she plucked it off the counter and starts waving it and yelling. Next thing I know, I see the hammer coming down and I'm yelling 'NO!' but she hit me anyways. It got me on my little finger on the hand that had been sitting on the counter and I feel the pain shoot up my arm.

"I'll teach you to disobey me again!" She yelled and swung again. I tried to pull my hand away but she is holding it with her other arm and is squeezing my wrist so much I can't move it at all. This time, thanks to my pulling, it hits my finger further down near the nail and starts bleeding pretty bad.

She looked down at what she done and let's go of the hammer. It crashes to the floor and cracks the tile, the tile we ain't never supposed to wear our shoes on because it's so special. She grabs a towel and wraps it round my finger, but the blood soaks through it in no time. Next thing I know she is pulling me out of the kitchen away from the sink, but the blood drips off my fingers onto the clean dishes. I guess I will have to wash them again later.

When we're sitting in the hospital she tells me to say that my finger got caught in the door. But the doctor don't believe me, he can see the two round marks of a hammer and he is looking at me all funny. I tell him it were an accident. He sows me up and shakes his head while I repeat the story Mama put in my head. She made it sound so real now I am not even sure if she really hit me with the hammer at all or if it was just another daydream.

She gets me ice cream afterwards, and I eat it too quick because I am still hungry and my brain gets freezed. I lick it off my lips and Mama drives home all safely and quiet.

It was an accident, I think. Mama wouldn't hurt me on purpose, would she?

2 Comments:

Blogger dfg said...

what is this?

1:44 PM  
Blogger C said...

Honey, did this really happen to you? It seems to real. I'm definitely familiar with the hospital visits... The doctors, the lies, the stories... Is this true honey? I'm so sorry it if is, I know you don't want pity and I don't pity you, but know I wish it never happened, hmm? Not to anyone... (Well, maybe Hitler...)

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home