Monday, December 20, 2004

The Jacket You Will Never Get Back

Driving up Alameda tonight with both windows rolled down on the suburban I was blasting country music and allowing the goose bumps on my arms to appear. It was Ian styles. Now I finally understand why he insists on freezing his balls off every time he gets behind the wheel. Anyway, looking over to make eye contact with the driver next to me at a stop light who was aghast at my music and the fact that they could see the breath with every lyric I was screaming at the top of my lungs, I noticed matt's leather jacket lying on my passenger seat. In all honesty, I will probably never wear it again, or if I do, it will be rare, like the fringe. In addition, like the fringe, the owner will never get it back. I have earned that thing.

Which brings me to tonight's epiphany, empowerment is key to success. Often we are told, as children, that it is not whether or not we win the game, but how we played. The thing is, in the game of life, many of the players are cheating. We are given the opportunity to play by the rules, or get ahead by making a new set of rules. This does not mean that we have become as bad as the cheaters; no instead we are simply evolving to meet the demands. If we did not, we would fall by the wayside as easily as the chimps that are still trying to fit the round peg into the square hole.

George Orwell has often commented on the plight of human existence in its struggle for perfection. For example, in his novel 1984 he showed that a utopian society would actually be Hell on Earth because no one would be truly leading anymore. That would no longer be evolution, no change; there would simply be a role that one is required to fill for the so-called "betterment" of the others in that society. As said by George Orwell, "He who controls the past commands the future. He who commands the future conquers the past."

Therefore, we have to dominate the current, create a reality that will become our past, and become our destiny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home