Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Cliff Diving

On Monday I went cliff diving at the lake. Mario and Gwene took me out to a rock that jutted two stories up from the waters edge. I was terrified, but I tried not to think about it as I started my ascent. I picked my way up the steep and precarious 'trail' to the top. Most of it was simply rock climbing. I reached the top, full of adrenaline and nearly collapsed when I saw the beautiful site in front of me. I could see the amazing mountains miles away, that layered themselves in blue and purples. I could see all the way across the lake. Gwene directed me about how to complete my journey and then jumped herself.

I felt my will starting to fade. The longer I stood up there, the longer I wanted to wait before jumping. The air was clean, it was sunny and I was cool. I never wanted to leave.

"Just think, it is the way to start your college journey!" Mario urged me.

"No," I thought, "It is a way for me to free myself from constraints of my past."

"You have to yell something on the way down! Anything you can think of!" said Gwene from the water below.

All I could think of, was 'Kalpernicus.' And so even though I was too terrified to say it aloud, I thought that one word as I stepped from the edge. I stepped from the edge and fell to a new life. One where I won't have to be hurt by another person's actions. Where I wouldn't have to wait on West Point. A life where I could find dignity and respect.

The water crashed around me, and I came up sputtering. I had landed on my bottom and it had knocked the wind out of me.

I will never be able to explain what it was like, to finally take that plunge.

K
A
L
P
E
R
N
I
C
U
S
!
!
!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home